Cattle Guard Names Can Vary

There are many names for what we, in the American West, call cattle guards.  A cattle guard is a grid of parallel metal bars (either square or round), usually set in the ground across a road instead of using a gate to keep cattle from wandering off of your land.

cattle guard with wings - installation
cattle guard with wings – installation

Cattle guards have been called by many other names.  In the United Kingdom a cattle guard is known as a cattle grid.  In Australia they are called either cattle grids or cattle grates.  In New Zealand, a cattle guard is called a cattle stop.  In Canada, they are called a texas gate or a vehicle pass. And we hear other names too – livestock guard, cattle grill and deer guard.  As long as they keep your cattle from wandering away, any name will do.

Barn World farm and ranch store has cattle guards in a wide variety of sizes and options to match your application.  Call today 720-238-2190.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *